This film by the end turned out to be one of the best I’ve ever seen. It shows that though people may be down on you, that you can succeed if you try hard enough and put your heart into it. Mr. Escalante put heart and soul into his teaching and getting to know and love his students… it paid of greatly when all the students passed the AP exam after having to retake it. I find it sad they had to retake it since I’m quite certain it was an act of racism on the AP testing boards side, but I’m glad the film had a happy ending and that we were able to get some resolution with all the students turning out to be successful.
I liked how the students and Mr. Escalante grew to love and know one another. A great deal of trust was shown as well between the students and the teacher. Trust like that is earned, and it’s nice to see good values and ideas excel in a not so nice environment. He grew to care about them like they were his own children and not necessarily just his students. I loved this movie!
Yes, building that rapport with students can make such a difference. The one thing I dislike about the quarter system is that just as I'm getting to know each of you, you're off to the next set of classes, and I rarely get to see you continue your educational growth.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your points such as that he put all of his heart into teacher, and he was so stressed because of it! I also think that the school board may have taken the high scores as a sign of percentages rather than racism. Maybe lower percentages of Hispanic groups take the AP test? Just a theory, not catering toward, but broadening the tendril of thought so it isn't biased.
ReplyDeleteok so as you may have noticed i tend to have a lot to say about social stigmas as it pertains to the success of our youth. that being said i agree with your reasoning behind them retaking the test but i see their economic status playing into it a lot as well.
ReplyDelete