“How I learned to Program Computers” by Feross is all about
his journey and how he became the guy who started the instant YouTube sensation,
and Instant FM. That’s great and all, but I wasn’t entirely sure how it would
help me with my first paper for this English class. Turns out I was wrong… this
article showed me that in order to learn how to do something, to create something,
and to become better you must practice and be willing to fail.
You must also be willing to “just do it,” just try it out,
because you never know if you’ll be able to do something if you don’t try. If at first you don’t succeed, you have to try
over and over again.
Maybe I’ll never be an Internet sensation, but I’ve learned
how to do some pretty cool things. I wasn’t a pro at these things at first, but
practice makes perfect. Mr. Feross wouldn’t have been able to do the things
that he did if he hadn’t of learned from his mistakes and tweaked his ideas to
make them better.
Another point I came across is that all people learn the
same. Maybe not in the same techniques, but in the same way… trial and error,
work until you get it right!
The just do it attitude that you speak of is definitely one of my favorite prospectives to take when faced with a daunting task. In fact it is what I use when I have to write a paper seeing as I hate writing. I usually procrastinate for as long as I can and then I sit down and just start writing. It doesn't always make sense at first but the act of writing usually allows me to formulate ideas. so in closing I agree with you that failing to act out of fear of failure prohibits the chance for success.
ReplyDeleteYes, writing does allow and force us to clarify our views on a topic--good point!
ReplyDelete