Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sometimes it's okay to pick a favorite.


My favorite of the three pieces actually surprises me… it was the one that I was least looking forward to reading and his lack of grammar really bugged me. But Malcolm X? You have stolen my heart with your self-learning abilities and your desire to be the best version of yourself. The part that sticks out to me is the few sentences where he refers to the fact that he did most of his studying in prison.
“Many who told hear me somewhere in person, or on television, or those who read something I’ve said, will think I went to school far beyond eighth grade. This impression is due entirely to my prison studies.”
I love how blunt and up-front Malcolm X is about his studies, and his struggles. How he learned all of this information on his own, hiding his books and reading from prison guards, and he found his way. He never speaks of failing at anything throughout the piece he only speaks of the ways that he progressed and learned how to read and write all on his own.
Malcolm X is and should be an inspiration to all who read his story. It’s inspiring. It shows you that anyone can start from the bottom and work their way to the top. 

1 comment:

  1. I find it very interesting that you took away from Malcolm's essay that he had a very positive outlook on his situation. It made me go back and revise my opinion and helped me see exactly what you're explaining.

    ReplyDelete