Saturday, October 20, 2012

But mom, I don't WANT to study history.


The Ken Robinson touched on a lot of interesting points about education… some I agreed with, and some that after thinking about I don’t agree with at all.
He states that everyone has a story about education, which is true. Everyone has had their own experiences with education and have positive and negative experiences to say about that experience.
Something he stated that I don’t agree with is that he feels the goal of public education is to produce university professors. I don’t agree with that, in school I was never pushed to pursue anything that I didn’t want to. I had the option of doing things that were art related, and I’m grateful for all of the “mainstream” education that I received. It’s good to be a well-rounded individual. Sometimes people need to be pushed out of their box in order to learn new things and skills. Who knows, maybe the art student sitting next to you could have the brain to be a high-powered CEO but nobody will ever know because he’d always be sitting in art classes.
I do agree with what he stated at the end of the segment about how a BA used to be good for some jobs now it’s all PhD getting the jobs. I’m finding that even with a degree and loads of experience that I’m losing jobs to people who have little to no experience but with heavier degrees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment