After
reading the three pieces over again I discovered the massive amounts of
differences between them. It was astounding to discover.
Malcolm
X was in prison when he discovered his passion and desire for reading and
writing. His motivation? To be able to inform people of the teachings of Elijah
Muhammad; the idea that there are distinct differences between white men and
black men. He was never ashamed of his education, often telling people when
they asked, ““What’s your alma mater?” I told him, books.””
Franklins
writing style is proper, he was almost forced into learning by his father and
his father’s idea of a future life for him. He did teach himself, but he was
able to receive formal education unlike Malcolm X. His father’s opinion of
this, “My early readiness in learning to read… and the opinion of all his
friends, that I should certainly make a good scholar…” He had someone to push
him and encourage him throughout his education journey.
Mike
Rose irritated me. He didn’t sound grateful at all for all of the education
that he did receive. Whether it was by rude teachers or not, he had the
opportunity unlike Malcolm X and Franklin. Our job as a student is to take the
information a teacher gives you and apply it to yourself; ask for help if you
need it. Rose states, “My attention flitted here and there. I fooled around in
class and read my books indifferently…”
As
one who cares a great deal about getting a good education, I believe that
Malcolm X and Franklin really striving and working hard is something we all
need to work towards. Don’t be a Mike Rose, don’t put your education on the
backburner.
Hm! I took a very different take on Mike's essay than you. I found that his satirical aspect to his writing took me by surprise and made the reading more enjoyable. He also reveals the true nature behind public schooling and makes it apparent how difficult it is to get ahead once you've been placed into a 'special' course.
ReplyDelete