For the sake of a lot of typing and space I will refer to Mr. Escalante when referring to the movie “Stand and Deliver” as E. Here are just a few quick observations I wrote while watching the first half of the movie.
E begins his journey driving to the school through a part of town to a school that doesn’t look well taken care of or like it would not have the best reputation. He shows up thinking he would be teaching computer science, only to find out the school has no computers and that he has to teach math.
He really wants to teach these kids how to be better, and how to be successful.
Random Note: The rebellious character is really quite annoying.
E knows how to relate to his students, which makes me think that he may share a background that is similar to some of the lives that these children are living currently.
E is the kind of teacher whom understands his kids, he’s also one of the only educators who believe that his students are able to achieve far more than other people think. He wants to teach the students more difficult topics, and wants them to be able to have better jobs.
The one negative I found in this movie was the quote that the student’s mother said which was, “boys don’t like it if you’re too smart.” I find that to be extremely ridiculous and I disagree one hundred percent with that statement. I’m so glad my mother is nothing like that at all.
A good, dedicated teacher might make for problems at home…
I look forward to the rest of this movie!
i have to agree with you about that comment on not liking girls that are too smart, thats just ridiculous for so many reasons. also what you say about E maybe having a similar background seems to ring true and would explain his tenacity.
ReplyDelete