Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Striving to be average.


“I Just Wanna Be Average,” by Mike Rose seemed to echo my thoughts growing up… I always strived to be just average, fearing that if I were too smart that teachers would call on me to answer questions. But if I wasn’t smart enough I’d get stuck with a tutor, though I had above averages in everything my entire school career.
Teachers assumed that just because I wore glasses, could read fast, and came from a good background that all I wanted to be was smart… so because of their assumptions, I rebelled. High School was a disaster for the mere fact that I wanted to break the stereotype, I regret it now, but at the time it sounded like a great idea.
This piece adds to my thoughts on my narrative paper, because, unlike this piece my paper will have nothing to do with any of my years at school. I hope to be able to express my thoughts and feelings as well and in the same manner and tone as Mr. Rose, I enjoy reading pieces like his!
My teachers in school were great; they weren’t mentally abusive like the teachers that Mike Rose talks about. I agree with his statement, “School can be a tremendously disorienting place.” It’s the truth, the only person we should try to be is ourselves.   

No comments:

Post a Comment