Thursday, November 29, 2012

Lewis Black is obnoxious, Rose, and Freire.


I can’t lie… I can’t stand people who behave like Lewis Black, so it was hard for me to get anything worthwhile out of that clip that we watched in class. Black and Rose do agree on just a few things… they argue that their teachers tear down students, and that “anybody” can become a teacher. They argue that is not how it should be. I agree. Freire would agree also.
We can’t just put a bunch of money and resources into schools and cross our fingers that they will succeed. That’s not how education works. Standardized testing shouldn’t be the gold standard of education argues Rose. Freire would 100% agree with that statement, he finds the whole idea of standardized for lack of a better word, “stupid.” That shouldn’t be the standard on which we hold all students to.
My own personal opinion? I believe that all of the men are correct… we can’t put money into schools and expect kids to learn just because they have computers or new books. It’s the effort that the teacher puts forth into teaching their students.
It would be like me walking into a class, a teacher handing me $50.00 and telling me that now I have all the knowledge needed to pass my chemistry class. Absolutely false and ridiculous.
Teachers need to step it up. 

1 comment:

  1. Great example to illustrate your point about $$ and education! And, yes, I know what you mean about Black's persona!

    ReplyDelete